D6 Family Theme for Week 12/27
SERVANTHOODD6 Weekly Goal: To inspire Christians to love others practically by serving like Jesus.
- Service opportunities sometimes happen when we least expect them. (John 2:1-11)
- Jesus is able to take our limited resources and do the impossible. (John 6:1-13)
- A praying heart opens the door to opportunities of service (Philippians 1:1-8)
- When seeds of compassion are sown, service is grown (John 9:1-11)
- When we serve others we are serving Jesus (Ephesians 6:5-8)
Servant Leadership (Mark 10:35-45)
Thought 1: Being a SERVANT is NECESSARY for the believer and Christian leadership. (Mark 10:35-45)
Jesus taught them this lesson, “If they wanted to be leaders in His Kingdom, they had to be SERVANTS.”
Thought 2: The wrong attitude for servanthood is to serve out of the HOPE of REWARD! (Mark 10:35-45)
Point #1: The world’s view of servant leadership IS NOT Jesus’s definition. (Mark 10:42-43)
Point #2: SERVICE is the measure of Christian leadership. (Mark 10:43-44)
Point #3: Servant leadership is modeled after JESUS' behavior. (Mark 10:45; John 13:1-15)
Six main points of servant leadership:
- “Servants lead out of RELATIONSHIPS, not by coercion.”
- “Servants lead by SUPPORT, not by control.”
- “Servants lead by DEVELOPING OTHERS, not by doing all the ministry themselves.”
- “Servants GUIDE people, not drive them.”
- “Servants LEAD FROM LOVE, not domination."
- “Servants seek GROWTH, not position.”
Take Home Family Study: Read Mark 9:33-35; Luke 9:11; John13:1-15
Three questions for the believer:
- What is your motivation in serving?
- As you look around, what is the need in front of you now?
- What do you have to give? (Acts 3:6)
- Who in your life best reflects Jesus’ servant heart?
- What Christ-like qualities does he/she exhibit while serving?
- How has God uniquely gifted you to serve?